SECLUDED LUXURY CAMPING AT LAKE WANAKA
Our Wilding Pines site is fantastic. Located part way up a hill (3min walk from your car), and nestled in amongst a sheltering grove of wilding pines, it’s an idyllic setting. The views from the campsite and even from your bed are stunning – across the lake to the peninsula with the glorious, dramatic Mt Gold in the background.
At Wilding Pines we have fitted out two luxury lotus belle tents and a tree tent so this site is perfect for 2-3 couples or one or two small families. One tent is fitted out in our Summer Art Deco theme. Bright cheerful colours, fun patterns, pineapples and parrots, it’s all here. It’s a fun environment to kick back and relax in. The second tent is decorated in our Aztec Indian Theme. Warm colours, feathers and dream catchers, and fun patterns abound. The hammock tree tent sits approx. 1.4 meters off the ground between three trees and comfortably sleeps three. It is likened to sleeping on a well-filled water bed, not much movement, just a gentle bounce. The maximum weight it can support is 400kg. Sleeping bags, liners, and a pillow are provided as we believe this tent is best suited to children… and we all know kids love sleeping bags.
As dusk approaches fairy lights will magically light up and our eccentric mix of LED candles, lanterns and solar lights work together seamlessly to create an ambient, romantic and fun atmosphere.
We have paid very close attention to detail and ensured our guests are provided with everything they need to make this holiday truly hassle free.
Our bathroom facilities are very cute. We designed our own high quality canvas tents and had them made here in New Zealand. The toilet is a flushable portable loo and the shower is powered by gas hot water and flows at a rate of 10L per minute. No solar showers here!
In keeping with the landscape we decided that in amongst all the glamor we would keep some things rustic, therefore we have chosen a site which has had little influence from man. The land is typically dry and golden underfoot and native scrub abounds. The rabbits have really taken to the area and will be frequently seen nibbling the grass nearby. The land is by no means flat, which is why we recommend good footwear, but it’s the ideal place to come glamping.
Access to the site is also for the adventurous. You can just drive to your site, or you could choose to Mountain Bike or Kayak!
Standard Rate: $630 per night for up to 4 people
Extra Person: $35 per night
The minimum booking period for Christmas, New Years and Easter is 3-4 nights.
Site not suitable for children under 3 years
Cancellation Policy: Within 30 Days of check in 50% refund up until 1 week prior to arrival.
- For a 50% refund, cancellation must be made within 30 full days prior to local check in time.
- If the guest cancels less than 7 days in advance, the nights not spent are not refunded.
- If the guest arrives and decides to leave early, the nights not spent are not refunded.
Simply choose your dates from our up-to-date booking calendar and follow the prompts through to payment.
Breakfast Hampers: $42 For 2 people, for one day. (semi-prepared self-cook meals)
Dinner Hampers: $88.00. For 2 people, for one day. (semi prepared self-cook meals)
- Food and drink if you choose to self-cater
- Warm clothing – to make to most of your star gazing experience
- Footwear suitable for walking on uneven ground
- Toiletries & sunscreen
- Beach towels
- Suitable footwear for inside the tent (jandels, soft-soled shoes)
We provide you with everything you need for a relaxing glamping experience.
Facilities On Site:
- Cooking utensils which includes pots, pans, crockery, cutlery, glassware, kettle for the gas stove, tea pot and coffee plunger.
- Drinking water (this is taken from the tap and is perfectly fine for drinking, however, bottled water can be provided at an extra charge).
- A cool box containing ice for keeping items cool . These will be replenished every 3rd day, free of charge.
- A BBQ and bbq utensils and a single hob gas cooker for the kettle (this must be used outside only).
- Outside dining table and chairs
- Washing up area which includes dish liquid, dish brush, drying rack and tea towels.
- Complimentary fresh coffee, black tea, an assortment of herbal teas and sugar.
- Complimentary salt/pepper, an assortment of spices, cooking oil & sauces.
We designed our own tents for the toilet and shower and had them custom made, here in NZ, of the highest quality canvas. We provide guests with a flushable portable toilet and a beautiful gas hot water shower that flows at a rate of 10L per minute.
Driving: Our tent sites are conveniently located approximately 15minutes drive from either Lake Wanaka or Lake Hawea. You will be greeted at our designated meeting point and led in, so there is no chance of getting lost. All instructions, including a map, will be sent to you upon booking.
Please note the road to our sites is rough for the last 2km. You will be required to travel in your own car to the campsite via a dirt road that has many potholes and undulations. A little sense of adventure is a must :-). We advise hiring a car with a bit of ground clearance. You will be asked to park your car in the bottom paddock of the farm, behind a locked gate, then walk 3-5 minutes up to your campsite. This way you can see the world, but they cannot see you. Guests are required to keep the gate locked at all times.
Check In and Departure Times:
Check In: Between 3.00 – 6.00pm
Check Out: by 10.00 am
Important Notes for Check In:
Guests will be required to contact Amy (021-143-6447) with their estimated time of arrival, the day prior to check in. This is so they can arrange a meeting point and be escorted to their campsite.
Pets: No pets allowed
Rules: Please note we are located in an extremely dry area of New Zealand and during the summer there is a complete fire ban.
- Absolutely no fires or naked flames are allowed anywhere on the farm or public reserve
- This is a no smoking site.
- Vehicles are not to be driven on the site unless it is an absolute emergency. Please note only an off road 4WD will make it up there.
- The farm gate through which you access your campsite must remain locked at all times.
- No loud music or noise is permitted. This site is a quiet zone, located next to a recreation reserve, perfect for outdoor activities.
- No fireworks permitted.
- No wondering over the farm behind the campsite.
You will be staying on a farm with potential hazards. Whilst we take great care to keep you safe, accidents can happen and we are not held responsible for such accidents (to the greatest extent permitted by law). It is your responsibility to supervise any children at all times. If you notice that any equipment looks faulty and/or unsafe you must inform the site manager as soon as possible. It is the parents/guardians responsibility to ensure that young children do not place themselves in a situation where they injure themselves by being vigilant of any potential incident. Parental supervision is essential at all times. Explore Life cannot be held liable for injuries sustained due to parents/guardians failing to supervise children around the area. The use of rivers, lakes, climbing trees and any other activity within the vicinity of the campsite is the responsibility of the guest and is done so at their own risk. We strongly recommend that you take out travel insurance against the risk of accidents and your stay being cut short. You will be required to sign our ‘waiver and release from liability’ form and ‘Hazard Identification’ form upon arrival
Guests Responsibility: Guests are required to observe the rules and familiarise themselves with the procedures contained in the information folder provided in the tent. Guests shall take all reasonable and proper care of the property and its furniture, fittings and effects in or on the property and leave them in the same state of repair, condition, cleanliness and tidiness as at the commencement of the rental period. Guests are required to inform the owner of any damage or breakage in or around the property promptly so that it can be repaired and replaced for the next guests. Guests are bound to reimburse the owners for replacement, repair or extra cleaning costs where reasonably demanded by the owners for damage caused by the guests. Smoking is not permitted anywhere on the property. Guests undertake to behave in a proper, appropriate and legal manner with due respect to the Owner, the Property and other guests and their property. If any guest behaves inappropriately or improperly (of which the Owner will be the final judge on their Property), or illegally, the Owner reserves the right to ask the guest and their party (at their discretion) to leave the Property before the end of the holiday period. Any refund for so doing will be at the entire discretion of the Owner
Authority to Sign: The person who completes the Booking Form certifies that: he or she is authorised to agree to the Booking Conditions on behalf of all persons included in the Booking Form, including those substituted or added at a later date; the signatory is over eighteen years of age; they agree to take responsibility for the party occupying the Property, and to notify Explore Life if they are not a member of the holiday party.
Our campsite is the perfect place to relax and un-wind. We have provided guests with outdoor beanbags, loungers, hammocks and little nooks to take advantage of the stunning scenery. Pack a good book, find a comfortable place to relax and just chill. There are also boardgames in the tents for a spot of fun competition, or a vast array of wild bird life to keep you and the little ones occupied for hours.
Wanaka is an adventure playground and the perfect place to explore the outdoors.
- Hire a bike. Right on our doorstep is a fabulous mountain bike track that can take you around the lake or onto ‘Deans Bank’ – an awesome single trail that will challenge all skill levels.
- Hire a kayak. From the lakefront right out front of the campsite you can hire a kayak and explore Lake Wanaka. For a great half day adventure you could paddle up to Stevenson’s Island and explore.
- Take a guided Kayak tour. Tours run daily up Stevenson’s arm, or for the more adventurous, down the Clutha river.
- Paddle boarding. How bout swap the kayak for the stand up paddle boarding.
- Parasailing. We have negotiated a deal with Wanaka Parasailing where they will pick you up from beach right outside the campsite so you don’t have to drive into town. Parasailing is a fantastic and fun way to really appreciate our gorgeous surroundings.
- Hiking. There is plenty of awesome hiking around Wanaka, ranging from gentle 30min walks around the lake or river edge, challenging hill walks or for the serious climber there are plenty of mountains to climb!
- Horse Riding. Running daily up the Cardrona Valley with Back Country Saddles and such a fantastic way to explore the rural Cardrona scenery.
- Canyoning. This is my absolute favourite. If you really want adventure and want to experience going where few have gone before, you have to try canyoning. It is the experience of a lifetime and Wanaka has some of the most beautiful canyons in the world. Trips involve jumping off waterfalls, abseiling, sliding down rock-slides and rock clambering… all in a safe, controlled environment. So much fun!
- Wine Tours. NZ produces some amazing wine and we have some beautiful wineries for you to visit. This is a great way to explore the varied landscape around the Otago Lakes district.
- Do a puzzle or get lost in a maze. Puzzling World is one of Wanaka’s most famous attractions, and it really is a fun way to spend part of the day. The illusion rooms and holographic images are incredible, and well worth the visit.
- Jump out of a plane! Wanaka Skydive is world renown. It is such a fun experience and what better place to jump from a plane than over the mountains. The view from the plane is worth the money alone.
- Jet Boating. Wanaka River Journeys offers a fabulous half day wilderness jet boating adventure up the Matukituki River that leads towards the Mt Aspiring National park.
- Glacier Landing in a helicopter. This really is the most amazing way to experience the mountains and get an up-close look at our amazing glaciers. You can even combine this experience with the jet boat ride for a really exciting experience.
- Lake cruise or fishing charter. Lake Wanaka is really stunning, and getting out on the water is highly recommended. We even have a lake you can visit that is a bird sanctuary and has another lake hidden within it. Quite magical.
- 4WD tours. Get up onto the ridge lines on a 4WD tour to enjoy stunning scenery and get private access through some beautiful farmland.
- Fly to Milford. Thats right! you don’t have to drive there, from Wanaka you can take a plane or helicopter flight and explore milford from the air, which also includes taking in the stunning scenery of the alpine crossing to get there. Thoroughly recommended.
Here at Explore Life we can arrange any tours or equipment hire you like, in order to make your stay in Wanaka more enjoyable, for no extra cost. Just tick the boxes on the enquiry form to let us know what your interested in and we can take care of the rest.